Get in Shape for Summer
It’s that time of the year again—everyone’s trying to get their beach body for the summer. I’m here to tell you that “look good, feel good” is a real thing, and obtainable for everyone using the right tools.
The first priority of reaching peak fitness for summer is knowing exactly what your goals are. Write them down on paper, and read them aloud at least once a day. Remember that fitness is “you vs. you;” all you need to do is be better than you were yesterday.
Then there is the word everyone dreads—“diet.” Make it simple. Start by creating a daily caloric goal and keep it. As long as you are creating a caloric deficit daily, you will lose fat mass. To modify your diet further, just make small changes such as:
1. Eliminate carbs at night: make it so you are not consuming carbs after 6 p.m. By eating early, or eating a protein-based meal at night that digests quickly, you are allowing your body to fast overnight while you sleep. This is good for overall health, as well as preventing the carbs you take in at night from being stored as fat. In turn, making breakfast your biggest meal will allow you to re-spark your metabolism in the morning, and gives you energy to start and take on your day.
2. Eliminate butter, cream and foods that have high percentages of saturated fats. Instead, substitute these with extra virgin olive oil or canola oil, as these are high in healthy unsaturated fats.
3. Consume more complex carbs, and reduce your simple sugars. There are about 19 grams of carbs in a bowl of oatmeal. You get on average about 27 grams of carbs by drinking just 8 ounces of soda.
4. Eat smaller meals more often, and eat whole foods that will allow you to get sustainable energy.
5. Buy healthy snacks, such as fruits, yogurt, granola, and almonds and utilize these as snacks when hungry and in a rush throughout the day to avoid fast food.
6. Lastly, as the weather gets hotter and hotter, remember that water is your friend. Try to drink at least a half-gallon to a gallon of water daily to keep you hydrated and healthy.
To read this article in full, pick up the June issue of Bangor Metro available now! Click here for a full list of where to find Bangor Metro on newsstands or better yet – click here to subscribe and get Bangor Metro delivered to your door!